News Release: Government of Canada Lends Helping Hand to Growing Glove Business
Superior Glove Works enhancing manufacturing capacity and creating new jobs at Point Leamington facility
May 11, 2015 – Point Leamington, NL – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Superior Glove Works Limited, a leading manufacturer of work gloves and protective sleeves, has received funding from the Government of Canada to enable the company to purchase specialized equipment and technology to improve efficiency and increase production capacity at its Point Leamington facility.
The Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), announced today that the Government of Canada has provided a repayable contribution of $500,000 towards the project.
Superior Glove Works Limited is using the funding to purchase specialized equipment and technology to increase production capacity related to technical yarns and glove knitting capabilities at its Point Leamington facility. The increase in production capacity has already resulted in the creation of eight new full-time jobs in a rural region of the province, and the company anticipates hiring four more full-time employees this year.
The efficiency and capacity improvements being undertaken through this initiative will help the company to meet a growing market demand and significantly increase its export revenue base, particularly to the United States and other worldwide markets.
- The Government of Canada is providing a repayable contribution of $500,000 towards this project through ACOA’s Business Development Program
- Superior Glove Works is headquartered in Acton, Ontario and the facility in Point Leamington currently has 83 full-time employees. The company manufactures more than 3,500 styles of work gloves and sleeves with applications in industries such as aerospace, agriculture, automotive and electronics.
- Since 2006, the Government of Canada has taken significant actions to strengthen Canada’s overall business environment, benefitting firms in all sectors, including manufacturers. This includes providing financial assistance through Regional Development Agencies such as ACOA to support business growth and productivity, helping small and medium-sized businesses effectively compete in the global marketplace.
“Our Government’s top priority is jobs and economic growth, and we remain committed to helping to create the conditions for businesses to grow, compete and succeed. We are pleased to support Superior Glove Works, which is creating jobs in a rural area and strengthening our region’s technology capacity as it moves forward with plans to enhance its productivity and growth.”
– The Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Thanks to support from ACOA, we will continue to expand our manufacturing efforts by equipping our Point Leamington plant with the newest machinery and technology to make it one of the most cutting-edge facilities in our industry. We are committed to sustainable and scalable growth and are proud that many of our best-selling and most sought after products are made in Newfoundland and Labrador.”
– Tony Geng, President, Superior Glove Works Ltd.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Rob Moore
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Acting Director, Public Affairs
Superior Glove Works Ltd.